Friday, September 4, 2015

September 4, 2015


In December 2010 Ceil was first diagnosed with breast cancer.  I remember New Year’s Eve for the upcoming year at Sebby and Lynn’s house and hugging Ceil to reassure her that we’d share the bad news after everyone celebrated the New Year.  When the ball dropped, I told her 2011 was going to suck, but we’ll get thru it together and 2012 and further we’d be good to go.  The plan was simple, stay positive no matter what and battle.

What I didn’t know was Ceil was going to teach me, the kids, her family, friends and complete strangers the way you take on a dreaded disease and fight with every ounce of your mind, body and spirit.  Throughout her first battle and again, for the past 25 months, Ceil’s spirit and attitude never waned even when she continued to get more negative news and the disease took away her ability to move and do things for herself.  Up until the last few days, Ceil could still light up a room with her great smile and she was still more interested in seeing how a visitor was doing, than talk about herself.  It’s who she is and who she will continue to be in all of our hearts. 

It’s with a heavy heart, but with gratitude that her suffering is finally over, that I let you know Ceil passed away at home today, September  4th.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped us along the way. 

For two years, we have not had to worry about making dinner for the kids because our Berlin community has looked out for us with meals every other day and for that type of support, I cannot thank everyone enough.  For all of the notes to Ceil and for the rides for the kids, thank you for making our tough situation a little easier.

Thank you to the teachers, the nurses and the Doctors who all touched the kids and Ceil’s lives. 

Lastly, I’d like to thank our families who have been there with love and support.

I’d like to leave you with this, we learned many things from Ceil through the last few years.  As I reflect back, probably the two I hope you carry in your life in memory of Ceil; Smile Every Day and Live Each Day With a Positive Attitude.

God Bless You Ceil.  I love you.

 

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. ~Author Unknown

The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity. ~Seneca



14 comments:

  1. Vin, I didn't know Ceil personally, but read your blogs, and knew other people who were friends with her. I am so sorry for your loss, your children's loss, your family's loss, and your friend's loss! May God comfort all of you, and give you strength during this very difficult time! She sounded like an amazing women, and an inspiration to anyone suffering from a long term illness! God Bless Her And All Of You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you or Ceil but we have many mutual friends and I'm been following this journey and praying for your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know, your family has the prayers and thoughts of more people than you could ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prayers are with you, thinking of you all! Ceil was an amazing women. Love Shannon and Mike Manchesi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Vin, So sorry to read that your beloved Ceil has passed. As you said, her suffering is over and she is in a glorious, peaceful place. I know your beautiful and loving memories of her will live in your hearts forever and her spirit will be with you for eternity. God bless you and your children. All our thoughts and prayers go out to you all. Love, Cousin Maureen Coffey Brenner and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss, Vin. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to school with Lynn and came across your blog about a year or so ago though FB. I have kept your family in each one of my prayers since learning of the news. May God bless you all. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vin, I am so sorry to hear about Ceil. I pray for peace for her soul and for you and your family. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear the news today, the world has lost another wonderful person. You are all in our thoughts and prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vin,

    So sorry to hear about Ceil. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

    - Scott -

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your family's journey. I only met Ceil a few times at baseball games with my sister Christine. Ceil always made strangers feel welcome. May a lifetime of memories fill your heart. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vin, I'm so sorry for your loss. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. May God's love bless you all and give you peace. Cousin Maria and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family
    Jenny Simeone

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vin, Ceil filled our hearts with love and made us feel like family. She fought a courageous battle and inspired everyone to be kind and thoughtful. She reminded us that every day is a gift, not a given. You were there for her through it all. May Ceil find peace in Heaven's Hands. God Bless you and your family. Lydia & Roman

    ReplyDelete