Saturday, March 8, 2014

Olivia Wins March Madness Essay for Donation

Update on Ceil - we are done with radiation and expect to start up at Dana Farber in two weeks for the clinical trial.  Where we thought we needed to get an MRI showing that there was still disease, they drug company did not require this and we are doing the trial.  We will be in Boston on Wednesday for a consult with the neuro surgeon who will place the port and change out the shunt.  Ceil is very tired from the amount of radiation they gave her over the past month.  Please understand that she needs her rest, so if you call and she doesn't pick up or call back, she's resting.

At the middle school, they have their own March Madness each year and it's for the kids to raise money and have some fun playing basketball.  I received a call from the teacher who handles March Madness Friday morning to let me know that they had picked Olivia's essay as the winner!  Each student that wants to, writes an essay as to why they want the donation to be made to a specific charity.  I'm going to share it here for you all to read.

Also, it's Olivia's 12th birthday today.  A huge thanks to all that sent birthday cards to her.  Especially the aunt that put it together - Carla RN.  She has been walking around the house with a smile from ear to ear.  Through our three plus years of dealing with Ceil being sick, the amount of love and support that the community that surrounds us has provided is staggering.  I always complain that I want to move away from the cold winters, but I know the reason we all stick around in this miserable part of the country - it's because of the community we all belong and it's because we know spring is right around the corner.

Here's Olivia's essay that will be donated to Ava'sMom for the Relay for Life.  If you would like to donate to the cause after reading Olivia's essay - click here

There is also a big pasta dinner being put on by the Lion's Club of Berlin on Saturday, April 12th from 4:30 - 7:30 at McGee School.  The event is to raise money in Ceil's name to donate.  Ceil and I would love to see you all there.  For more information or to buy tickets with a debit or credit card through the Berlin Little League website by clicking here.

2/10/14



Dear March Madness Committee,
I really would love if you could donate some money to Ava's Mom Army. It’s a Relay for Life team that’s run by me and my father.  All the money that the team and any other teams collect is all donated to the American Cancer Society.
I participate in the Relay for Life, because when I was about nine my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was in the hospital for a long time having surgery done and recovering. I missed her so, so much and cried a lot at night. I missed having her with me and her sweet voice always asking me if I had done my homework or cleaned my room, even to tell me to stop asking her questions. I only had my dad for a long time. About a year after she fully recovered I thought it was over.  I thought that I would still have her with me all the time, in August in 2013, we went on a vacation to Myrtle Beach. My mom was starting to feel sick and had terrible headaches. At night I would be able to hear her throwing up in the bathroom. So we decided to go home. My dad had dropped me off at my cousins house, along with my brothers and sister. He had said that he was taking my mom to the doctor to get checked out. That night I didn’t sleep a wink. I knew it was happening again. I was scared. The next morning my dad picked us up and said we were going to see mom. She was in the hospital. When I saw her I cried. It wasn’t fair that my mom had to do this twice. I felt so bad. My mom had a tumor in her head and needed brain surgery. She could have died at anytime during the surgery and I wasn’t there to say I loved her, I was really scared. She was in the hospital for three months and had to go to rehab for physical therapy for another month or two. My Nana had to fly down from florida to take care of my family. I still felt awful for her and this is how I can help her.
If you guys pick the Ava’s mom army it would mean the world to me and especially to my mom. She would be so proud of me if I could win money to donate to the relay for life! I really want to win this because the more money that the American Cancer Society gets, the more scientist can research and find a cure. I just don’t want someone else to go through what my mom had to go through, or anyone not having a relative or a friend at home with them. It really hurts to see people in pain so pick the ava’s mom team so no one will go through this again. We could have a healthier, happier world. Let’s celebrate more birthdays and a longer life.

Sincerely,
Olivia Biscoglio



Ava’s Mom Army
 

1 comment: